Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Story

Hi. My name is Jessica Anne but everyone calls me Jessa. For as long as I can remember I lived in a really big store. I stood on a shelf next to other dolls. Many of them looked just like me. People often walked by and talked about us like we couldn't hear them. Little girls would get excited to see us and occasionally one of my fellow dolls would leave with a little girl. But most people were not as nice. They would compare us to American Girl dolls and say that we were not as neat. We were called "cheap" and "knock-offs". We started to think that nobody wanted us. We started to hear rumors that the only people that wanted dolls like us were kids that were not old enough for American Girl dolls. But no matter what people said, I hoped that one day I would have a girl of my own.

I spent day after day standing on the shelf wishing that someone would buy me. I wanted a girl that would love me and appreciate me. The days past slowly. Then one day the workers at the store decided that we were not selling fast enough so they put us on sale. Eventually all of my doll friends were purchased and I was left standing all alone. I was just about to give up any hope of having a home when a nice man came walking past me. At first he didn't pay much attention to me but eventually he noticed me on the shelf all alone and he picked me up.

Riding home was a little scary. I tried to picture what my new home would be like. Would my new girl love me or would she compare me to the more expensive dolls? Would I be her first doll or would there be others? Before I could wonder too much, we were there. The man carried me into a house and handed me to a girl. She was a little older than some of the little girls that I had seen in the store. She looked surprised to see me. The man told her about how I was the last doll on the shelf.

My girl was very excited to have me. She immediately got me out of my box and didn't put me down for the rest of the day. She told me how happy she was to have me. She said I looked nothing like any of the rest of her dolls. Thats when I realized that I was not the only doll. When my girl wasn't paying attention, I looked around  to see what other kinds of dolls there was. They were everywhere! Baby dolls, rag dolls, and a huge collection of American Girl dolls! I began to panic. How would I be able to compare to those beautiful, expensive dolls? I would be an outcast doll forever! But my fears were quickly settled that night because once the day was over and it was time for bed, all of the American Girl dolls were carefully placed on a table to "keep them safe" and I was tucked into bed next to my girl. I may not always fit in with the American Girl dolls but I know now that my girl loves me just the way I am.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessa,

    My name is Julie and I know just how you feel. I'm not Julie Albright, the American Girl doll, I'm Julie Newman, a Springfield Collection doll. I am a 70s girl just like Julie Albright, but I think I'm cooler. My doll mom grew up in the 70s, and knows that dolls don't have to cost a lot to be loved. In our house (as of now), we have 3 Springfield Collection dolls, and 1 American Girl, so we're the majority. But we've heard all the snide comments as we sit in craft stores by other little girls comparing us to AG. It's not fair. I'm glad I'm w/ a doll mom who knows how special my friends and I are. We look forward to reading your diary.

    Your friend,
    Julie Ann Newman (age 9)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I know who you are Julie!! My girl and I watch your videos all the time. I love the video of your room tour and my girl learned a lot from your hair care video. My girl is even talking about getting a Springfield Collection doll now because of your videos! Its nice to know that there are other people out there that don't think more expensive dolls equal cooler dolls! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jessa!

      Hey! That's outta site! (70s slang) I'm glad you like my videos and I hope that your girl posts adventures of your Springfield Collection friend once she gets one!

      Your friend,
      Julie

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessa! I like your blog! It's weird because my first and middle name is Jessica Anne! :)
    Check out my blog! It is told through the eyes of my doll Rosalyn: myagdollstory14.blogspot.com
    See you! :) ~ Jess*

    ReplyDelete